Things to do
The Midlands of Ireland is a golfer’s paradise with value Golf available at 12 local golf courses for guests staying at the County Arms Hotel. Courses include Esker Hills, Tullamore, Glasson, Birr, Portumna, Roscrea, Nenagh, Castlebarna and Mount Temple. We offer great value Golf for individuals or groups and societies.
Birr is a very popular destination for walkers with the Slieve Bloom mountains within 8 miles offering Eco, Biodiversity and Looped Walks for all levels. Lough Boora parklands is a delight and walkers particularly love the sculpture trail and wetland reserve.
Festivals & Events are an important part of our calendar and events such as the Hot Air Ballooning Festival every May and Birr Vintage Week in August always draw enthusiastic crowds.
The highlight in Birr is Birr Castle Demesne with one of the finest Gardens in Ireland and easily the most important garden in Offaly & the midlands. Birr Castle also includes the Historic Science centre, fascinating for kids and Adults alike, as well as the Great Telescope, the largest in the World for over 70 years.
There’s so much more to see and do in the Birr area as follows:
- Birr Castle Gardens, Historic Science Centre & Great Telescope
- Birr Theatre & Arts Centre
- The Book of Birr (820 AD)
- Historic Walking Tour of Birr Georgian Heritage Town
- Children’s playground 300 yds from County Arms Hotel
- A great range of Irish pubs, most with live music on weekends
- Independent boutiques and gift shops
- Ancient Monastic Site at Clonmacnoise
- Lough Boora Parklands, Sculpture trail, Mesolithic site, Wetland Bird reserve
- Craft village at Ballinahown
- Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre
- Locke’s distillery Kilbeggan
- Walking in the Slieve Bloom mountains
- Roscrea Heritage Town