Jittery Pumpkin Fritters from Head Chef Dean Diplock at Breaffy House Resort
For a tasty Halloween Treat try these tasy Jittery Pumpkin Fritters from Head Chef Dean Diplock at Breaffy House Resort.
- 200g Chunky mashed pumpkin/butternut, cold and precooked
- 120g Self raising flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 60ml Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Allspice
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Large egg
- Oil for deep-frying
- For caramel glaze:
- 1/2 cup Castor Sugar
- ¾ cup Double cream
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Syrup
1. Heat oil in a deep fat fryer to 160 Degrees
2. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients: mashed pumpkin, flour, baking powder, sugar, milk, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and allspice. Stir until everything has been fully combined.
3. Use an oiled spoon to spoon up the batter and drop it in the oil or use a batter portioner.
Do not overcrowd the fryer. Cooking in batches is best. Fry for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
4. Turn over regularly to cook evenly. Use a slotted spoon to take them out of the oil and drain on a kitchen paper towel to soak up excess oil.
5. For the caramel glaze, add sugar in a non-stick pan and over a medium to high heat, caramelise the sugar while swirling the pan if you feel the sides are getting brown too quickly.
6. Do not stir the caramel; it will cause crystallisation. Make sure you get a rich brown colour to the caramel. Lower the heat of the saucepan and add the syrup.
7. Then gently add the butter and cream, it may splatter, so be careful. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
8. Finally stir the caramel mixture into a smooth consistency, pour over the fritters and serve with vanilla ice cream.